Monk’s Hobbit is moving from WordPress to Blogger
August 16, 2013 1 Comment
Blogging in WordPress has been fun for nearly the past five years. But I think it is time for Monk’s Hobbit to move to Blogger: www.monkshobbit.blogspot.com. I have several reasons for doing this:
- I wish greater control on the look of Monk’s Hobbit, which I can easily change later in Blogger by changing the HTML templates (though I am not yet attempting it).
- I like Blogger’s direct link to G+ which shall be my repository for pictures. For this, I made a new profile for Monk’s Hobbit in G+.
- I like Blogger’s ability to handle scripts, such as Mathjax for writing equations.
- I like Blogger’s direct link to Adsense. If this blogging apostolate would be sustainable, an extra income through ads to support the peripherals–camera, computers, and lots of books–would be needed.
- I wish to overhaul the document design of the Monk’s Hobbit site. In the new website, I made the labels the top tab headers: News, History, Literature, Science, Liturgy, Business, Music. This allows me to gather all my Catholic views on many things and at the same time discipline myself on limiting my labels on posts.
- I wish to showcase some longer white papers or articles that I wrote; I’ll put these in the pages section in the sidebar. Some of these white papers would summarize several blog posts in the WordPress blog. My aim is really to write books by collecting blog posts and stitching them with care–not in the Frankenstein way, but in something smoother like the invisible weave patch technique in the Shroud of Turin.
- I won’t be putting links to other blogs though (my apologies), because I wish the site to look more formal and professional.
- Don’t worry. This WordPress blog will remain. I will still moderate comments, but I won’t write new articles here.
I like writing. I wish to emulate Tolkien’s literary style in the Lord of the Rings. But I think it is not really possible, because I have my own personality and my mind is shaped by many books and articles that I have read. I read two new books a month, usually books on business, management, and branding. I write the way I speak. If you like my writing, please follow me in my new website in Blogger: the Monk’s Hobbit. There I’ll talk about many things under the sun–News, Business, Liturgy, Music, Literature, etc.–but always with Catholic view on the subjects. See you there!