Pinoy Big Brother vs. God the Father
October 6, 2009 Leave a comment
There is something eerie about Pinoy Big Brother (and all Big Brother shows). Big Brother is faceless, a voice from the heavens, in the same way as God the Father is. But here ends their similarities.
1. In Christ’s Baptism and Transfiguration, God the Father said:
This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased. Listen to him (c.f. Mt 3:17 and 17:5)
Similarly, Big Brother says:
I am your Big Brother. Listen to me.
The Father gives His Authority to the Son and the Son speaks in behalf of the Father. But Big Brother speaks on his own behalf. As Christ explained:
My teaching is not my own but is from the one who sent me. Whoever chooses to do his will shall know whether my teaching is from God or whether I speak on my own. Whoever speaks on his own seeks his own glory, but whoever seeks the glory of the one who sent him is truthful, and there is no wrong in him.
2. Big Brother is faceless. God the Father has a face: Jesus.
I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him…. Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? (Mt 14:6-9)
3. Big Brother has no origin. How does he become our brother? He is our brother because we live in his house? He does not explain. His name is simply Kuya or Big Brother. God the Father, on the other hand, explains who He is and how are we related to Him:
God replied, “I am who am.” Then he added, “This is what you shall tell the Israelites: I AM sent me to you.” God spoke further to Moses, “Thus shall you say to the Israelites: The LORD, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. “This is my name forever; this is my title for all generations.” (Ex 3:14-15)
4. Big Brother is whimsical. Being good is defined as whatever Big Brother commands you to do at any given moment, even if it is stupid or crazy. God the Father, on the other, has his laws laid clear, as given in the Ten Commandments. And He further explains:
Here, then, I have today set before you life and prosperity, death and doom. If you obey the commandments of the LORD, your God, which I enjoin on you today, loving him, and walking in his ways, and keeping his commandments, statutes and decrees, you will live and grow numerous, and the LORD, your God, will bless you in the land you are entering to occupy. If, however, you turn away your hearts and will not listen, but are led astray and adore and serve other gods, I tell you now that you will certainly perish; you will not have a long life on the land which you are crossing the Jordan to enter and occupy. I call heaven and earth today to witness against you: I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live… (Deut 30:15-19)
5. In Big Brother’s house, there is only room for one: the others will slowly leave one by one. On the other hand, Christ explains:
Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am you also may be. (Jn 14:1-3)
6. And the Prize for doing what Big Brother wishes you to do? Wealth, fame, and glory– money, a celebrity status, and power to influence young hearts and minds. Similar prizes offered by Satan to Christ (Mt 4:1-10). Wealth by turning stone into bread. Fame by jumping from the top of the temple and landing on the ground unharmed for all the world to see. And power by having all the kingdoms of the world at your command. All these things Satan can give if Christ bows down to worship him. But Christ said:
Get away, Satan! It is written: ‘The Lord, your God, shall you worship and him alone shall you serve.'” (Mt 4:10)
Let us not anymore watch Big Brother. Instead, let us listen to God the Father.