Fr. Jose Francisco Syquia’s talk on Exorcism, Paranormal, and Occult at the Provident Plans International Corporation
April 2, 2009 28 Comments
Yesterday, 1 April 2009, upon the invitation of Bro. Miguel Madarang (after he stumbled on my blog), I was able to join the Spiritual Recollection of the employees of the Provident Plans International Corporation at the 2nd Floor Valer0 Plaza in Makati City. I arrived at 7:00 a.m. Miguel introduced himself. He told me that Philip and others of the Defensores Fidei are coming. Maybe he assumed that I am a member of this apologetics group. I am not. But I know one member: Mr. Rey Entila, my co-faculty in University of St. La Salle in Bacolod City years ago, who lent me many of his apologetics books, such as those of Scott Hahn and some collection of church documents for Dogmatic Theology. Rey used to debate in Bacolod Public plaza. I think he still has a radio program back there. A hobbit thanks to Miguel and Rey. May God bless you both for your kindness.
After some songs and a rosary, Fr. Francisco Syquia of the Archdiocese of Manila Office of Exorcism gave the first part of his talk on “Word of God: Scourge of the Devil”. I have made extensive notes. I can reproduce his talk in this blog (it may take a while to decipher my scribbles), but I think most of it is available in his book, “Exorcism: Encounters with the Paranormal and the Occult.” A second edition is sold for P300. The book is smaller and the font is neater. The first pages are devoted to the positive and warm reviews of the first edition. The contents look the same as the old. I wish there was a Preface to the Second Edition, so that I will know what were the changes. I’ll review the new edition soon. The review for the first edition is here.
The Trail of Light followed, which are meditations on the fourteen stations after the Christ’s reurrection:
- Jesus Rises from Death
- Peter and John at the Tomb
- The Risen Christ Appears to Mary Magdalene
- The Risen Christ Walks with the Disciples of Emmaus
- The Risen Christ Reveals Himself in the Breaking of the Bread
- The Risen Christ Appears to His Disciples
- The Risen Christ Gives His Disciples the Power to Forgive Sins
- The Risen Christ Appears to Thomas
- The Risen Christ Appears to His Disciples at the Lake of Tiberius
- The Risen Christ Entrusts the Care of the Church to Peter
- The Risen Christ Sends His Disciples to Evangelize the World
- The Risen Christ Ascends Into Heaven
- The Disciples Prepare to Receive the Holy Spirit
- The Risen Christ Sends the Holy Spirit
This is a new devotion proposed by Fr. Sal Putzu, SDB and Jess P. Balon, as a proper continuation to the Way of the Cross.
Lunch. There is really such thing as a free lunch.
An hour-length documentary on exorcism was then showed. The documentary talks about several things:
- Exorcism in the War of Catholics and Protestant Huguenots (1565)
- Codification of the Rituale Romanum (1614)
- Group Possession of Nuns: Satan’s Human Agent (1630)
- The Witch Hunts (1584)
- The Witches in the Puritan Village in Massachusetts (1632)
- The posession of a 13 year old boy boy in St. Louis Catholic Church (1949)
- The movie “Exorcist” (1973)
- Malachi Martin writes “Hostage to the Devil” (1980)
- Evangelical Ministry of Deliverance (1980)
- Exorcism of a woman (1994)
- Pope John Paul’s Exorcism (2000)
- The Movie “Exorcist” (2000)
- Vatican gives University Course on Exorcism (2005)
I heard that this documentary was given to Fr. Syquia by Fr. Gabriele Amorth, Rome’s Chief Exorcist.
Fr. Syquia then continued the second part of his talk on Filipino folk religiosity:
- Mingling of Catholic practices with pagan anito worship.
- Types of demonic activity: possession, oppression, obsession, and infestation.
- Spells, Curses, and Charms
- Deliverance Prayer vs Exorcism
- Offensive weapons: sacramentals and devotions
Most of these can be found in his book. This is an enlightening book. Buy it.
The recollection ended with a mass presided by Fr. Syquia, with Bro. Miguel Madarang as altar server.