Posts Tagged ‘Son of Man’
If the Catholic Church is lying, then she is one liar that tells the same story again and again. Or maybe she is telling the truth and teaches what the truth is again and again. The church is less concerned about her waning influence; rather, she is more concerned about how to answer the question posed to her by Christ: “But when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on earth?” (Lk 18:8).
In her 2000 years of existence, the Church has outlived empires, kingdoms and republics. As the Body of Christ, the Church proposes to all people of goodwill the truths about God and about man. She does not change her mind. What was taught by Pope Paul VI in Humanae Vitae in 1968 remains true today: the evils of contraception, abortion, and sterilization–these would result to a general lowering of moral standards, marital infidelity, the reduction of women to instruments of sexual gratification, and the danger of government imposition of contraception and abortion.
The Church does not change her mind even if the rest of the world does. If the Church does change her mind and calls wrong what she teaches as right before or calls right what she teaches as wrong before, then the Church cannot be trusted to tell the truth, cannot be a strong rock where the society can build upon. Instead, the Church becomes a loose sand that any society that builds on her foundations will collapse due to the changing tides of public opinion.
The Church is like a monarchy with the Pope as its Head as the Vicar of Christ and Successor of Peter. He is guaranteed by Christ to be incapable of teaching error once he exercises his teaching authority. And Pope Paul VI exercised his veto powers when, despite the recommendations of majority of theologians about the morality of contraceptive pills, he chose to condemn it and write his encyclical. But the Church is also like a democracy, but it includes among its voters the opinions of those who already passed out of this world–it is a democracy of the dead. Thus, the Church cannot change its mind about contraception, because it is condemned by faithful Christians from centuries past. Isn’t it wonderful to have a guide and teacher that never changes her mind about truth and falsehood, good and evil, right and wrong? Like a North Star, the Church points in the same direction, and those who wishes to be guided by her will never get lost.
Here is question posted in Pinoy Catholic and to which I shall reply here:
TPC that I know, in a way its wrong if that was said anyone would be upset.
But think about it openly if you put it on another view point its just giving respect to the other religion or belief.
In a sense its just right because the catholic church we love and cherish is also open for all. Just think about it Our Lord Jesus Christ as a universal church and one True God. In this world we have different religions and beliefs but all of them came from one and same origin pointing to Jesus Christ.
Its Jesus Christ represented differently among races just because of the traditions, beliefs, distance and those sort of differences like liberal, conservative or modernize that we know.
You mentioned the bishop called Buddha as equal to Jesus Christ but its because they are just one and the same interpreted differently, just like other God who is also Jesus Christ with a different name and teachings. The bishop might be right or wrong and even I might also but just think about it. He was just pointing out that they are the same one Lord Jesus Christ to us.
Why don’t we just pray and let God judge then decide who is right and wrong and it will turn out to be the best for all of us. I don’t mind whatever the outcome will be. Just don’t put to much into this one. You got many good articles here but of all the pointing out mistakes on certain people, priest or a religious head is one that am against. We are just humans after all we comment but never judge because the one that can is our Lord Jesus Christ.
1. Not all teachings of other religions point toward Christ
In this world, we have different religions and beliefs, but not all of them point towards Jesus Christ. There are seeds of truth found in other religions which point to Christ Who is Truth, but the Evil One also sowed his seeds of falsehood:
The Church’s bond with non-Christian religions is in the first place the common origin and end of the human race:
- All nations form but one community. This is so because all stem from the one stock which God created to people the entire earth, and also because all share a common destiny, namely God. His providence, evident goodness, and saving designs extend to all against the day when the elect are gathered together in the holy city. . .331
843 The Catholic Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved. Thus, the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as “a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life.”332
844 In their religious behavior, however, men also display the limits and errors that disfigure the image of God in them:
- Very often, deceived by the Evil One, men have become vain in their reasonings, and have exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and served the creature rather than the Creator. Or else, living and dying in this world without God, they are exposed to ultimate despair.333
845 To reunite all his children, scattered and led astray by sin, the Father willed to call the whole of humanity together into his Son’s Church. The Church is the place where humanity must rediscover its unity and salvation. The Church is “the world reconciled.” She is that bark which “in the full sail of the Lord’s cross, by the breath of the Holy Spirit, navigates safely in this world.” According to another image dear to the Church Fathers, she is prefigured by Noah’s ark, which alone saves from the flood.334
2. Buddha is not Jesus Christ
Jesus is unique. Jesus is not one of the reincarnations of Buddha. The Holy Name of Jesus is not equal to Buddha:
Because of this, God greatly exalted him and bestowed on him the name* that is above every name,g10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bend,*of those in heaven and on earth and under the earth,h11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,* to the glory of God the Father. (Phil 2:9-11)
Buddha teaches reincarnation. Reincarnation teaches that there is one soul which is reborn again and again until it reaches perfection. On the other hand, Jesus teaches that we have only one life here on earth, and after Death is judgement: Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory. We have only one chance in this world before Judgement Day:
f “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne,32g and all the nations* will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.33He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left…Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.42k For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink,43a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’44* Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’45He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’46l And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Mt 25:41-46)
There is only one Truth and Jesus is Truth. If He does not teach reincarnation, then reincarnation is wrong, and Filipino-Chinese Catholics should not believe on reincarnation, Astrology, Feng Shui, and other things that were part of Chinese Culture but are incompatible with the Catholic Faith. The Catholic Faith purges cultures as gold is tested in fire, so that what remains of that culture can be offered for the glory of God.
3. On judging others.
I can’t say against priests and bishops, because they are my superiors. And St. Ignatius recommends that things should be brought to higher authorities. If the bishop appears to be in error, he can be reported to a higher authority like the CDF (Congregation for the Doctrine and of the Faith), which is under the Pope. Christ is a Just Judge. But the Pope and the Bishops united with him were given by Christ the authority to judge individuals and nations:
Amen, I say to you that you who have followed me, in the new age, when the Son of Man is seated on his throne of glory, will yourselves sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. (Mt 19:28)
Christ said to his apostles:
And to Peter, in particular, Christ said:
Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah. For flesh and blood 12 has not revealed this to you, but my heavenly Father.18And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, 13 and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it.19I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. 14 Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.” (Mt 16:17-19)
I found an interesting article from Pinoy Catholic on the meaning of the Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) logo:
- The interlaced square and compass denotes Freemasonry
- The crown at the center denotes the Order of Amaranth, a fraternal organization of master masons and their properly qualified female relatives
- The compass, inverted triangle, and legs denotes the Order of the Eastern Star
- The light rays at the background denotes the sun god.
- The scales of justice denotes the Scales of Maat, the Egyptian goddess of truth, order, balance, and justice
- The bible inside the inverted triangle and compass refers to the use of the bible in masonic lodge for swearing oaths
- The dove and the color white denotes purity and innocence
- The color red denotes courage, zeal, and blood of life–the color of Royal Arch Masonry
- The color green denotes spiritual initiation into the high mysteries of life and god
- The color blue recalls the dome of the heavens which denotes universal brotherhood and friendship
- The inverted triangle points to the 22nd ray which probably signifies a 22nd degree mason–Knight of the Royal Axe.
To be fair to INC, I’ll try to provide a biblical meaning to the INC logo, with their doctrines in mind:
- The dove is the dove of Noah. Just as the evil world was washed away by the flood and a new world was born, so was the apostate Catholic Church was abandoned by God and He established a new church, Iglesia ni Cristo, at the end of time.
- The sun’s rays and the bible denotes the Prologue of John: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came to be through him, and without him nothing came to be. What came to be through him was life, and this life was the light of the human race; the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” (Jn 1:1-5) Surprisingly, this passage proves the divinity of Christ, which INC does not believe.
- The lamb and dove denotes the Baptism of Christ: “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world. He is the one of whom I said, ‘A man is coming after me who ranks ahead of me because he existed before me.’ I did not know him, but the reason why I came baptizing with water was that he might be made known to Israel.” John testified further, saying, “I saw the Spirit come down like a dove from the sky and remain upon him. I did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘On whomever you see the Spirit come down and remain, he is the one who will baptize with the holy Spirit.’” Surprisingly, the INC also does not believe on the divinity of the Holy Spirit.
- The Triangle denotes the Dogma of the Holy Trinity, which states that there are three Persons in one God. Christ himself gave the following Trinitarian formula for Bapstism: “Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you.” (Mt 28:19-20). Surprisingly, INC does not believe on the Trinity.
Thus, INC uses Christian symbols, but does not believe on the meaning of the symbols. (The INC has not still provided an official interpretation of their logo).
Now, where is the Sign of the Cross? I cannot find any.
- “Then he called to the man dressed in linen with the writer’s case at his waist, saying to him: Pass through the city (through Jerusalem) and mark an X on the foreheads of those who moan and groan over all the abominations that are practiced within it. To the others I heard him say: Pass through the city after him and strike! Do not look on them with pity nor show any mercy! Old men, youths and maidens, women and children–wipe them out! But do not touch any marked with the X; begin at my sanctuary. So they began with the men (the elders) who were in front of the temple.” The Hebrew letter X is Tav (or Taw) whose ancient form is the cross †, from which came the Greek letter Tau .
- “If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily 11 and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it.” (Lk 9:23-24)
- “If anyone says to you then, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. False messiahs and false prophets will arise, and they will perform signs and wonders so great as to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect. Behold, I have told it to you beforehand. So if they say to you, ‘He is in the desert,’ do not go out there; if they say, ‘He is in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For just as lightning comes from the east and is seen as far as the west, so will the coming of the Son of Man be. Wherever the corpse is, there the vultures will gather. “Immediately after the tribulation of those days, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he will send out his angels 18 with a trumpet blast, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of the heavens to the other.” (Mt 24:23-31) The sign of the Son of Man is the cross because his corpse hung there.
- “For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with the wisdom of human eloquence, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its meaning. The message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the learning of the learned I will set aside.” Where is the wise one? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made the wisdom of the world foolish? For since in the wisdom of God the world did not come to know God through wisdom, it was the will of God through the foolishness of the proclamation to save those who have faith. For Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we proclaim Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those who are called, Jews and Greeks alike, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.” (1 Cor 1:17-24)
So why is there no Sign of the Cross in the INC logo? Is INC inviting the wrath of God to destroy its members starting from its temples? Does INC wish to follow Christ but without a cross in its temples to carry? Does INC await the coming of Christ but thinks that the Sign of the Son of Man is not the cross but a compass? Does INC wish to proclaim the cross of Christ like St. Paul or rather the message of Felix Y. Manalo, whom they consider as an angel? As St. Paul said: “But there are some who are disturbing you and wish to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach (to you) a gospel other than the one that we preached to you, let that one be accursed! As we have said before, and now I say again, if anyone preaches to you a gospel other than the one that you received, let that one be accursed!” (Gal 1:7-9). Lucifer is also an angel of light because in Latin, the word “Lucifer” means “Light-Bringer” (from lux, lucis, “light”, and ferre, “to bear, bring”). Lucifer is he whom the Freemasons worship. As Christ said: “And if the light in you is darkness, how great will the darkness be.” (Mt 6:23)